"I would a thousand times rather be with Grandfather on the mountain than anywhere else in the world!"
Are you looking for a classic, timeless story to share with your children that is also relevant today?
Do you want to buy ebooks that:
- Deal with topics like the importance of home, family, friendship and loyalty?
- Include strong characters, female and male, that model positive behaviours?
- Engage as well as educate your kids?
- Support the development of reading and comprehension skills?
Then look no further than the Heidi apps! For many of us, the name Heidi conjures memories of childhood. This story of a little girl who charms all (or at least most!) of those around her has been working its magic with children for over 130 years. When it was published in 1880, the subtitle of Johanna Spyri's book was "for children and those who love children" and that's just as true today.
Now, in addition to the lovely story, the app version of Heidi includes many elements designed specifically to enchant, engage and educate young readers.
- The beautiful and detailed illustrations by Diana Kizlauskas offer a window for modern children through which they can discover the dress, hairstyles and way of life from a bygone age.
- Every page contains sound effects and interactive elements.
- The book's colourful characters are brought vividly to life by the voice talent of professional actors.
There are two versions of the story:
- The First version is narrated by Heidi and told from her perspective. This version of the story is designed to be enjoyed by younger children, together with their parents. Text is highlighted as read to support the development of early reading skills.
- The second version is longer and told by a narrator. This is ideally suited for older children to read by themselves, but there is a read to me option to encourage reluctant older readers.
- Both versions of the story are available in English and German and are abridged versions of the original text.
The Heidi Collection is the best value option if you want to own the entire Heidi story for iPad. However, at 380MB, the app is a large one. If you would rather have separate apps that you can move on and off your device then the Collection is available in three parts, as follows:
- Heidi on the Alp
- Heidi in Frankfurt
- Heidi and Klara
In addition to the story itself, each app includes a 'Bits and Bobs' section. The Heidi Collection includes all the extras from all three apps as follows:
- Spot the difference pages
- Places to visit in Switzerland
- Information about Graubunden, the area of Switzerland Heidi lived in
- Swiss food, transportation and geography
- Information on and pictures of flowers and animals native to Switzerland
- Fun Swiss facts
- Quizzes you can use to test our child's comprehension of the story
Heidi on the Alp is the first of three apps that tell Heidi's story. We are introduced to the six year-old little girl when her aunt Dete, who has taken a job in Frankfurt and cannot take her niece with her, is leaving Heidi with her stern and reclusive Grandfather. The old man is quickly won over by his delightful granddaughter who also befriends the village goatherd, Peter, and spends the summer helping him tend the goats. When winter arrives, Heidi meets Peter's mother and blind Grandmother who also learn to love the little girl in no time. An idyllic year has gone by when, unannounced, Dete returns with the intention of taking Heidi back with her to Frankfurt.
"Heidi knew she was right, that coming to her Grandfather had meant she had come home."
Heidi in Frankfurt is the second of three apps that tell Heidi's story. She has been brought to Frankfurt by her Aunt Dete to be a companion of Klara, a wheelchair-bound girl whose mother died many years ago and whose father travels often on business. The two girls quickly become dear friends, despite the scorn heaped upon Heidi by the housekeeper, Miss Rottenmeier. Klara and her family love the warmth and laughter that the little Swiss girl has brought into their home but Heidi is increasingly unhappy in the city and yearns to go home...
"I dream every night about home. I hear the wind in the fir trees and see the stars in the sky. I run outside and it's all so beautiful! But when I wake up I'm here, in my bed in Frankfurt."
Heidi and Klara is the last of three apps that tell Heidi's story. Heidi has returned home and been reunited with her beloved Grandfather. She starts to attend school in the village and after some coercing, is finally joined there by a very reluctant Peter. Klara comes to visit Heidi for the summer as her doctor is convinced that spending time with her friend in the alps will be good for Klara's health. The two girls spend a wonderful few weeks together but then Peter, in a fit of jealousy, destroys Klara's wheelchair. Klara is so much stronger after her time in the mountains however that, with Heidi and Peter's help, she is able to stand up and take a few steps. Is it possible that she might walk again?
"Peter was thinking to himself, "First, Heidi was taken away to Frankfurt for almost a year, then over the winter all of our time together was either spent in school or in teaching me to read and now she spends all day, every day, with Klara!" He felt angry, jealous and selfish, and people who feel like that often do very foolish things."
- Abridged versions by Deanne Shoyer, true to the original two Heidi books by Johanna Spyri
- Two story versions, one narrated by a young girl voice actor (from Heidi's point of view),
the other narrated by female voice actor (third party view)
- Wonderfully detailed illustrations by Diana Kizlauskas
- English and German language available
- With interactive sound-effects and audio-elements, spoken by actors
- Lots of fun extras in the Bits and Bobs section
- Compatible with iPad
- Heidi on the alp: 104 MB
- Heidi in Frankfurt: 160 MB
- Heidi and Klara: 124 MB
- Heidi story collection: 380 MB
- Heidi story collection - lite version: 381 mB
- Requires iOS 5.0 or later
Pricing and availability:
- Single apps: $2.99 USD (or equivalent in other currencies)
- story collection: $4.99 USD (or equivalent in other currencies)
- Available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Books category.